Thursday, July 16, 2009

Thing #12 Creating Community through Commenting

I totally agree with CoolCat when she says “Start by genuinely complimenting the blogger in some way and point out where you do agree.” It’s like my mother always told me about saying something nice. Most of the time if you don’t have something nice to say, I think you should just leave it alone and don’t say anything at all. See I listened to my mother. Sure sometimes, somebody says something that you disagree with, but unless you feel you are under some moral obligation to set them back on a different path, just walk away.
I also liked what CoolCat and Meredith Farkas said about sharing. I’m thinking that’s what blogging is all about…sharing what we know with others while they share what they know with us. It doesn’t matter if the epiphany hits you when you are commenting on someone’s blog or blogging on your own, when the spark comes, let it shine. I don’t know… maybe because I’m older but you know when I do get one of those sparks, it is important to shine where I am…. You never know when it will come back to me. (Age and A.D.D. don’t mix real well and when your early stage Alzheimer’s mom calls you every few minutes to see how to start that lawnmower you made her buy… your mind really gets muddled.)
Plus, you know it feels good when someone comments on your page… Grendel (GOI-BOK) commented on mine and I kept a huge smile on my face for hours. You know…just thanks for noticing. Big Red also commented on mine because she too suffers from A.D.D. We both have to grab hold of that old fishing pole and reel ourselves in every once in a while. Love it…misery loves company too. I loved that VWB noticed my followers link doesn’t show up correctly even though he wasn’t sure how to fix it. There again…misery loves a little company, even if it’s just sympathy.
Let me tell you what I didn’t get… if someone so nicely comments me, do I respond with another comment there on my blog or do I go to their blog. I read Draper’s Edublogger Etiquette but those ideas seem to be based on those bloggers who have lots of readers. Me, I figure I might have had three readers and who knows if they will ever come back so if I comment on my own blog to their comment, will they ever see it? You know …that’s pretty presumptuous and I did want them to know I read their comments and it was important to me. Some don’t have emails. Most don’t have a general comment area… you know where you can just say something like, “Thanks for stopping by and bringing a smile to my face.” …so what do you do? Any comments?
Made comments on:
Is the Dancing Librarian a Web 2.0 er? Maybe! about her Wordle problem. I had the same problem and took the easy way out.
Get in Gear – who had the great idea to use Library Thing to set up her classroom library. Can’t wait to pass this idea on to all my teachers.
Schock-ing Thoughts: to get her feedback on replying to comments
Watt’s Up for making a great mosaic and giving some super ideas about how to use it in a classroom/grade level. I will love sharing those ideas with my teachers.
Tina’s Treasures & Tidbits: thanking her for turning me on to a blog on “iTunes feeds for the 2.0 Teacher” It is a nice little treasure I might not have located on my own and I liked what I found there.
Chessie’s tales, motorcycles and rides is a blog I follow. She is on a ride where she has stopped at Historic Auto Attractions in Roscoe IL. They have some of the coolest cars and more with great history. She documents all of her trip with some pretty cool photos. I love riding and my summer has been so busy I haven’t gotten to ride like I would like to so it sort of feels like I am taking some vicarious vactions with her. Hopefully before school starts, my husband and I can hit the open road at least for a long weekend.
I joined The Cuttlebug Spot. I love crafting. I am the queen of craft supplies…but not the Queen of Craft. Mostly I have time to look at all my lovely equipment and supplies and go… gee..wouldn’t that make a great card, scrapbook page, insert for a picture mug, jeweled pattern for a shirt…I could go on and on but honestly if I took the time to do that, I could just go create something. Anyway found a really nice award winning card, so I commented on it.
Okay, so that’s five Library2Play members and 2 non-Library2Play so Woo Hoo! Thing 12 is shall we say…HISTORY! Well, at least completed. Now can I go back and play?

2 comments:

  1. A+ You are a great comment-er and a fun-to-read blogger. But...your mother has Alzheimers and you made her buy a lawnmower??? JK!! No, really, I totally enjoyed reading your #12. Looking at your avatar...do you really ride bikes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really do ride bikes. That's my brand new Harley Davidson Softail with a Screamin' Eagle kit on it... which really means it runs loud and fast. It's good something in my life does. And believe me that lawnmower haunts me daily... but she has a little over 2 acres and her other one quit and she won't move to Texas... What can I do? Hog tying is one thought....

    ReplyDelete