Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Thing #19

LuLu – Okay not cheap but not over the top. I could see teachers using this for classroom books. It might be a site I keep in mind if I ever do decide to write a book… just to see it in print. One problem is they tend to hide the pricing of many of their items until they get you in there to create it.
Hmm…by reading the Craigslist blog, I found Conan O’Brien & Slash out guitar shopping and a link to a blogspot for a prostitute. I found some Zildijan Cymbals for a fair price but not awesome so I think I’ll just keep looking.
Google Docs – been there done that - Think it will be useful for students & teachers.
Wufoo- thing I can think of that I would use this for would be Bluebonnet Voting but probably wouldn’t. You could do a survey on what types of books that children like reading the most but I’m guessing I could just take the statistics from Destiny and figure that out. I can see school districts using this for a parent survey when they are looking for input, but not much that would warrant paying for a survey to fit my school library.
Omni-drive - Dead
.docstoc – Honestly, lots of cool things here but I’m not sure it is worth getting to if I had to put AdSense on my webpage or blogspot. I hate commercials getting in the way… I haven’t looked at it all but at this time, it’s not worth the “free if you add Ad-Sense” cost. Livemocha wouldn’t work with the new IE so I didn’t check that out. I looked at a copy of the page and it looks interesting. I might check it out from school using firefox. I’m not sure why if IE upgrades that people with a webpage don’t do what they need to do to keep up with the changes. I personally would like learning a foreign language for free.
Standout Jobs: not looking for a job…like the one I have. If I worked in a high school, I might really like this tool, but at elementary level, if I am not out looking then, I probably don’t need.
Upcoming: Okay, I live in a very small town, but it was fun to have them search for local events for Aubrey, Texas. It seems like if I take a drive over to Denton on a Thursday night, I can listen to a live show and meet Wes Hayden from The Bachelorette. If that isn’t exciting enough, there is a single family garage sale on Sat, but I have to drive to Flower Mound (another 10+ miles past Denton which is about 10 miles away from Aubrey. There’s also an 80’s night at a nearby Denton Mexican restaurant and a play in Lewisville if I want to drive a little further. BTW, nothing listed was happening here in the quaint little town of Aubrey…I didn’t even try to tell it Krugerville. We are a glorified neighborhood who outgrew its britches and incorporated ourselves as a city. Interesting…could be a place where we could list school events. I did search for Little Elm and found that the public library is holding a Saturday Movie Matinee but it doesn’t say what the movie is.
Im Cooked: Me, not so much of a cook, I’ll probably just skip this one, but I will pass it on to my culinary friends.
Urbanspoon however is restaurants and more to my taste.
Fun Stuff: Cocktail Builder … don’t drink but again, can share with friends. Not my elementary students though of course.
Zango.com is a closed user community – not open to anyone else. Galaxiki...not in to creating my own solar system right now but I could see where some might enjoy this.
Yelp! Love that Keller’s Drive-In in Dallas is listed as #1 in Restaurants and that Half-Price Books are #1 in Shopping. This was fun, enlightening, and worth passing on to friends, but not necessarily for school children.
Revolution Health was very interesting and seems to host a wide range of health information. From diet, to losing weight, looking for doctors, conditions a7 Diseases, healthy living, drug treatments, doctor and hospital referrals, and a place to create your own personal health record, the forum has some strange questions, but the health goal groups seem to be active and maintained.
PBWiki is now PBWorks. Good free site for a wiki
Frappr- Interesting. You can get a map to add to your site and map where your visitors come from. Might be cool if you have an active site. I don’t ever see myself needing something like that, but it is cool.
Google maps- love it! I love being able to see what a road looks like when I get to where I need to turn and it is fun to check everything out.
Twitter – I’ve heard of it and it might be something I am interested later but honestly Facebook wears me out, so I’m not sure Twitter would be much better.
Last - Okay, I really liked Last because you can look up artist, read their bio, find pictures, videos, albums, listen to tracks, find events, news, charts, similar artists (if you like this one, you’ll like this other one). I enjoyed their journal to get some feedback and the trends they see happening. It was well worth the site visit.
MothersClick – Good site for mothers…mostly for moms of younger children.
G.ho.st seems like a very handy way to keep up with this busy world where you have information coming from a variety of places. I like that it offers a way to keep up with my documents so I can access them from anyplace where there is an internet connection. I work on several different computers throughout a week and this would be very helpful for me. Now if I create something on one computer at school, I can upload and access it from my home desktop or one of the laptops I might use during the week. I haven’t created my computer in a web page yet but if I have time before I post, I’ll provide more feedback.
Picnik didn’t try but looks like fun. Honestly thought. I’ll be there for hours and I don’t have hours to spend, so I’ll just come back later.
Retail section seems to run the gamut. There is a t-shirt store (Threadless) that looks like you can give input on the design, Etsy which is more of a crafty homemade version of Ebay. Stylehive is advotaing the hot new trends and Stylepath wants to be your personal shopper.
Visual Arts – couldn’t figure out Color Blender, Swivel on the other hand had charts galore. You can use the ones they have for your needs or you can make your own.


I can see how I really would use the Web 2.0 Awards, to help guide me through some of those sites that have been deemed the cream of the crop. There is so much out there, you can just get lost in all of the things but it is helpful to someone like me who doesn’t have the time to investigate all those other choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment