Monday, July 20, 2009

Thing 13: Tagging and Discover Delicious

Well now… Wasn’t that delightful! I looked at all the info on Delicious and went crazy. Guess anyone reading my blog has figured out by now, that going crazy isn’t a true statement …that I have probably been in that state for a while….but I did just LOVE it. Oh my goodness, I am so disorganized at times and I find all these cool things and bookmark them on my computer and then I think…what was the name of that site that had that scrapbooking hints that I wanted to use, or that lesson plan that was just perfect? Then I look at the names of the sites, the folders I attempted to use but which are now so jumbled up and I just Google again to see if I can find it. I’m thinking this site could go a long ways into helping me out. BTW Furl is now Diigo, Magnolia wilted, and Digg made me mad because they had a page on top stories and the link didn’t even work. Okay, I understand when info has been there a while and now it isn’t but if it is a top site, that shouldn’t have happened. Makes a person lose confidence.

Okay, back to my happy place… I loved Delicious. At first I searched for school libraries and ending up find mostly UK, AU, Canada sites but a few were here in the good old US A. I found Mrs. Mac’s Library site which was really fun. It had lots of 2.0 ideas and it looks like she’s doing a good job of using them in her library. Good Inspiration! Can’t wait to try some of her toys…ok ok I tried a few already but not all of them. At first I couldn’t figure out how to find some friends and add them so I called my Tech friend at school and made her open an account and I added her. Once I figured that out, I just searched for Library2Play and lo and behold there was jwillia and mgdry which I checked out and liked that they had already bookmarked several things I was planning to add so I just put them in my network. Work done in half the time! I like that.

I can see how I could set this up for research for my students and it would work very well. I generally create an html page or I add links on my library home page for students to use when doing research. Although K-4 children are able to type in a website URL, it is very time consuming and instead of teaching research, you are mostly teaching typing skills, so something like this would be really helpful. With all the tags you could create your own safe search engine for the students.

I plan to truly use Delicious a lot for both personal and professional use. Oh & I found a video I couldn't resist. I put it at the bottom of the page. Off track I know, but it made me laugh and isn't that what it is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment