Monday, July 20, 2009

Thing #14: Technorati and How Tags Work

I did a keyword search for “School Library Learning 2.0” in blog posts, in tags and in the Blog Directory. In Blog Posts I came up with 7 results. When I changed it to tags only… there were zero results. I got the same results in the Blog Directory. When I went back and did the search without the quotation marks I got 907 results...some of which were relevant and some weren’t. I found lots of good information here and again, changing how it is searched, changed what information I got. I checked out Boing Boing which is the most popular rated blog by fans. I have to say I wasn’t quite sure why. There were broken links, videos credited incorrectly. I also checked out some of the “Top Searches” and some of the Top 100 blogs by authority. Some were useful, some were fun, and some were not useful to me.

I am however; totally fascinated by how tags work to help you find what you are looking for. It was interesting to look at Technorati and see what types of things are important to those delving into the computer world. Not surprising that many were blogs devoted to tips, gadgets and mashables. It’s amazing how many people are out there in the blogger world. I like in Delicious how I can make my own tags because I can customize it for me and how my brain works. I also like on Technorati how the actual blogger does the tagging because you get a greater sense of the writer’s purpose…even if maybe that’s not exactly what you got out of it. I haven’t gone out and tagged my world yet but I do intend to. In my world of information overload, this is just the tool I need. Now I just have to Do IT!

I am also very excited that I am 2/3 of the way finished and that Thing 14 didn’t take me as long because I had already claimed my blog on Technorati and looked at their widgets. Woo Hoo for me! I start a workshop tomorrow on Capturing Kid’s Hearts and I’m guessing my next three days will be jam packed.

No comments:

Post a Comment