Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Thing #7 - Google Tools

Fun but not quite as exciting as Flickr. I created a calendar for my busy month of July and made it public. Calendar: http://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=lesliewoolsey%40sbcglobal.net&ctz=America/Chicago I created an iGoogle webpage to use as an additional page to my home page. I had already set up a Picasa Web Album with my blog photos but I didn’t add any more pics there. I have downloaded Picasa and use it on my computer for my photos. I tried Google Scholar and as with all searches, some things came up very productive and some things weren’t productive. I did find some interesting articles on Web 2.0. I loved Google Advanced Search. I found quite a few library powerpoints already out there that I can use. Some I will need to contact the original creator to see if it is okay to make a few changes to fit my library but some were good to go. I liked that. Google Earth was awesome. I had tried to download it when it first came out and there were some problems with it so I just deleted the download. I had lots of fun looking over the map and the different pictures and webcams. I can’t wait until it gets even more populated with pictures. As it does, I can see lots of educational uses here. Looking at the Disneyland Resort in Paris sort of reminded me of a Sim city with the illustrated buildings mixed in with real photographs. I had a great time and I can imagine that teachers and librarians alike will be able to help students in learning about geography, global awareness, landforms, and much more. Google Docs- I created a google doc and saved it but it took so long to upload a picture to it that I canceled. I tried drawing a picture and inserting it. My artistic talents left much to be desired, so I deleted that. I have used google docs from school before. It is very helpful when you are sending documents to others that you don’t know what types of software they have or can read. If you are creating document links from your school web pages, Google docs would be a perfect too so if they don’t use Microsoft Word or whatever, you can be assured they can read yours because Google docs are free. A librarian friend introduced me to it when she was sending me a document from home. She thought it would just be much easier to ensure everyone could read it. It’s a good way to save documents that you need to be able to access from lots of places. Saves you from having to find that jump drive that seems so elusive at times. I also created a Google notebook and made it public. Address of the web page:
http://www.google.com/notebook/public/16447532635979240897/BDQooDQoQiPP7u6Uk
My Google notebook is about reroofing my house. It’s not finished but I have a start on it and hopefully it will be helpful in making an informed choice in purchasing a new roof.

No comments:

Post a Comment